Last week I found this picture in PhDComics, which clearly shows how the real labs are, then I decided to take a photo of my desk with all the upgrades that I really need to work. This is how my place looks like:
- Lost clock: This wonderful device measures time indicating the Lost´s numbers: 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42. It´s especially useful to know when lunch time is: 8:4 p.m.
- The Ultimate Scientific Tools: High Technology made of PVC. This really good fitted pieces are kept in their original box waiting for a challenge like a paper for Nature journal.
- Salmonella typhi: Call her Sally, she came from Giant Microbes. She doesn´t speak too much but she usually salutes me with her noodly appendages.
- Murphy´s laws: Scientific Bible. Forget everything you read in science books, just ask Murphy about what the flying f*cking thing it´s going to destroy your assay or erase the most important data: «Whatever can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time, in the worst possible way».
- Charlie Chaplin´s hat: don´t ask about it, just forget it…
- Dharma Iniciative´s seal: Yes, we work for them. Our station was named «The Platypus«.
- «Kill Sergio» (me) Post-it note: Maybe I´ve forgotten to clean/fit/repair/do something. Ups! I hope they don´t want to call any mafia gangster.
- The Carro-Fary: Do you remember those horrible Elvis for cars? We have an upgraded spanish version: «El Fary» the best singer ever. Our own Sinatra.
- Typical lab stuff after clean 99% of the mess I usually have on the desk.